Cactus Tour and El Triunfo
El Triunfo is located 25 miles south of La Paz on Mexico’s Highway 1. The mining of gold and silver near El Triunfo dates back to the late 1800’s, and at one time it was the largest city on the Baja peninsula, a mix of native, Italian, French, English north Americans, German and Chinese in the its peak time the area had over 14,000 inhabitants.
Silver production began to decline in the 1950’s and the pueblo nearly vanished by the early 1970’s. The town today has a population of 4,000 residents and some silver mining still continues in the area.
The Piano Museum is a must visit in El Triunfo. In the early 1900’s piano playing became very vogue in the pueblo and the town boasted the largest population of pianos per capita of any city in Mexico. When you imagine what a trek it was to deliver a piano to this isolated mountain community that fact becomes even more impressive.
Today the pueblo is in renaissance and many original buildings are being restored. El Triunfo is a step back in time to a slower pace of life and a true example of rural life in Baja. The Pantheon (cemetery) is indicative of the beautiful culture of the area and can be seen from the highway when entering town.
- 08:30 am – Leave La Paz to El Triunfo.
- 10:00 am – A walking tour of old town El Triunfo.
- 10:20 am – Visit the Chimney “la Ramona” and silver smelters.
- 11:20 am – Visit the scenic outlook La Fundidora
- 11:40 am – Enjoy the Music Museum tour.
- 12:30 pm – Lunch at an El Triunfo restaurant.
- 01:30 pm – Visit the Cactus Sanctuary.
- 03:45 pm – Arrive back in La Paz
What’s Included –
Transportation with tour guide, bottled water, music museum fee, lunch with one drink.